HIDING: Watercolor & Ink Painting

HIDING

Why are people characterized in black and white but we readily accept all of nature's colors?






Let's be honest. This video looks rough.

The lighting is horrible. Nothing is steady. The music is too loud. It's all at an odd angle. Quality is bad. Etc. etc.

I was planning to record me painting my first watercolor artwork for the first time just as a trial, but ended up going through the whole rigmarole anyway.

In hindsight, I should have probably taken a smaller piece to work with. I was oddly anxious about having my really old camera on and it felt kinda awkward since I couldn't figure out if it needed more or less light (now I know that it needs more, of course - no need to mess up my eyes).

Because it was constantly recording, I kept working fast in some places and then, would completely forget it was there for large swaths of time. So much so, that when I played back the footage, the majority of it was literally me watching paint dry (hahaha!).

Forget about the video quality for a second and let's talk about the artwork. This is a mixed media artwork in watercolor and ink, on hot pressed 300 gsm paper that's locally made.

I had a specific idea in mind. This was a short sketch I tried out earlier to see how it looked.



Yes, I know. The anatomy is a bit off but I liked the effect of using just the linework and crosshatching for the figure.

Since this was my first watercolor attempt, I kinda struggled with mixing colors and trying to make the water look like water. I kept getting disappointed with how the colors looked faded after they died. I mean, I knew to expect it but it somehow still bothered me.

I loved painting the flowers though. Frangipaani <3

Well, I need to work a lot more on watercolor. Wish me luck!

xoxo





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love...? A Short Bird Animatic

Roots: Surrealism in Ink | Inktober Day 20

Also 'Hi'